Nothing is better than delicious local strawberries… yummers!!
I made this pie for desert this past Fathers Day and it was a huge hit! It is very simple to make and doesn’t require a lot of different ingredients. It does need a good chunk of time sitting in the fridge to set though so keep that in mind if you are trying to rush it. This is definitely something I will be making again, possibly experimenting with other fruits.
Double Strawberry Pie (source EatingWell.com)
- 2 1/2 pints fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (the second time I made this pie I tried to use whole wheat flour…. not good… stick with the white flour!)
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons low-fat milk
1. Pick out 2 cups of strawberries that are around the same size. Wash, hull and set aside.
2. Wash, hull and dice the remaining berries. Mix in the sugar and lemon juice. Let stand 20 minutes. Drain the berries well with a sieve over a medium pot. Return berries to bowl and set aside.
3. Add water and gelatin to the strawberry juice in the pot (NOTE: measure the strawberry juice and then only add enough water to give you 2 cups of liquid). Over medium heat stir until gelatin is dissolved. Remove from heat and stir into diced berries. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally until mixture has thickened (3-4 hours).
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
5. Stir together dry ingredients for crust. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in milk 1 tablespoon at a time until dough comes together.
6. Knead dough on a floured surface 8 times. Roll out dough and then fit into 9 inch pie plate, crimp edges with fork.
7. Prick bottom of crust with fork and line crust with parchment paper or foil. Fill with pie weights (I used rice). Bake for 10 minutes. Remove weights and bake for another 8-10 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool.
8. Assembling Pie: Arrange whole berries in crust pointed end up. Spoon filling over berries and refrigerate until firm (about 2 hours).